These are global rules that will apply to anything associated to HLPugs.tf. This includes, but is not restricted to, the HLPugs.tf Discord, Steam Group, and hosted servers. It is your responsibility to review and understand these rules, for using
our platforms means you agree to follow them. Failure to follow these rules may result in a warning, temporary ban, or permanent ban.
- Do not spam chat or abuse Mumble/Discord privileges. This includes lowering your microphone quality or microphone spamming. (Abusing chat privileges is a Low offense. Abusing Mumble/Discord privileges is a Medium offense)
- Do not reveal personal information or exhibit threatening behavior towards any individual. (Serious offense)
- Do not be disrespectful or incite negative responses towards teammates and/or opponents. (Low offense)
- Do not play without Mumble installed and/or a working microphone. (Low offense)
- Do not impersonate anyone. (Name change)
- Do not play on an alternate account or attempt to bypass bans. (Serious offense on the alt, if the main account is temporarily banned, then the penalty starts at a two week additional ban from the time of when the player has alted)
- Do not willfully exploit deficiencies in the website or game servers to attempt to gain an advantage or change the status of the website or game servers in any way. (Heavy offense)
- Do not add up to any roles if you cannot play the entire duration of the match.
- Do not add up to captain if you do not know how to pick a proper and competitive team. (Captain restrict)
- Do not add up to roles that you cannot perform your best on.
- Do not bait the draft by adding and removing from the draft. (Low offense or Captain restrict)
- Do not deliberately handicap your team. (Medium offense)
- Do not play any class other than the one you were picked for without the enemy captain's approval. (Low offense)
- Do not use third party tools or game exploits. (Hacking offense for cheats, Heavy offense for game exploits)
- Do not leave a game due to an illegitimate reason. (Low offense)
- Do not substitute players unlawfully. Examples include, but are not limited to, low skill level, high ping, and lack of coordination. (Captain restrict)
- Do not abort drafts willingly. (Captain restrict)
- Pick to win. Do not pick players that will cause a huge imbalance for your team. This includes "reverse captaining" (picking teams for the other captain). (Captain restrict)
- Do not pick players through the knowledge of alternate accounts. (Captain restrict)
- Do not pick the last remaining Medic and force the other Captain to Medic if you are added up as Medic. If there are only two players added up to medic and you pick one of them on a non-medic class, you are required to play medic. (Captain restrict)
- Do not force someone to Medic who didn’t sign up for it. (Captain restrict)
Our admin team wants to be as democratic and fair as possible as to how we moderate these rules. With this, the team is to be as reasonable as possible and use their best judgement when enforcing these rules. Any repeats in a rule offense will
lead to the duration of the ban being extended and/or loss of Captain.
Furthermore, periods of good behavior (e.g. every month) will decrease these penalty levels by one.
- Low: 1 day - 2 days - 1 week - 2 weeks - 1 month - 3 months - 6 months - 1 year - Permanent ban
- Medium: 2 days - 1 week - 2 weeks - 1 month - 3 months - 6 months - 1 year - Permanent ban
- Heavy: 1 week - 2 weeks - 1 month - 3 months - 6 months - 1 year - Permanent ban
- Hacking: 1 year - Permanent ban
- Serious: Permanent ban
RULES LAST UPDATED: 02/25/18
How many hours in TF2 do I need to play on HLPugs.tf?
- HLPugs.tf requires 100 TF2 hours (last updated January 2, 2018). Your Steam profile must be set to public when logging into the site for the first time so that we can verify the number of in-game hours you have. You can switch it back to private/friends-only after setting your alias.
- To change your profile settings:
- From your Steam Profile, click the Edit Profile link under your displayed badge.
- Click the My Privacy Settings tab.
- Select your privacy state.
- Click the Save button.
How do I disable the seasonal special effects or change the classes I get automatically added up to?
- Hover over your name in the top right corner of the site to reveal a dropdown menu. Click the "Settings" button to access your site settings. You can even change the sounds that play when certain events are triggered. Note that some voicepacks or other user options, such as name color, may be exclusively reserved for Patreon patrons of/contributors to the site.
I have a disability or other condition that renders me unable to speak and/or verbally communicate effectively with my team. Can I still play on HLPugs.tf?
- We believe that HLPugs.tf can provide a fun experience even for those who are unable to talk. However, we are also committed to maintaining a positive experience for all users of the site, many of whom add up to play with the understanding that the members of their teams will communicate. To play on HLPugs.tf without being obligated to use a microphone, the following conditions must be met:
- You have confirmed with an admin that you cannot talk to your teammates. If you do not notify an admin before you start playing a pug on HLPugs.tf, you run the risk of being warned/banned for not using a microphone.
- You are actively using in-game text chat/appropriate voice commands to communicate information with your team about events during a pug. Even non-verbal communication can significantly improve the overall performance of your team.
- You have TF2 teammates in UGC, ETF2L, or ESEA who can vouch for the fact that you do not verbally communicate during scrims or matches. If you selectively refuse to talk only in pugs when you are capable of speaking to TF2 players otherwise, it is difficult for us to accommodate you.
- We hope that these guidelines are reasonable. Feel free to contact us in Discord if you have any concerns. You can also message admins privately; look for users in our Discord server with the role "NA Admins" or "EU Admins".
FAQ LAST UPDATED: 03/11/18
What Information Is Collected
Upon first setting your alias after connecting your Steam account to the website, we collect your:
- Steam alias
- Steam ID
- profile picture
- IP address
Your Steam alias is used as an identifier to set your alias in the server with the plugin and on the site. Your Steam ID allows us to properly create player links to your UGC, ETF2L, Logs.tf, SizzlingStats, and Steam Community profile. Your profile picture is stored and retained for your HLPugs.tf player profile as well as to be displayed when you add up to classes. Lastly, your IP Address is collected to investigate the usage of alternate accounts under the same IP as well as information such as your browser or what platform you are accessing the site. Cookies are only used on our site to store session logins to allow players to stay logged in. You can opt out of cookies using your browser, but this will prevent you from maintaining logins across your browser sessions.
How This Information Is Used
- All sets of data that we collect at HLPugs.tf are used to allow us to continuously improve the service. Currently, information on the site, player details are all available on our API for public use: https://minicircle.github.io/hlpugs-api-docs/. The API can be queried by HLPugs.tf aliases or Steam IDs.
- Personal information, including IP addresses, may be shared with competitive leagues on request to help combat the usage of alternate accounts in competitive TF2.